BMW 2009 3-series coupe (e92) European Delivery Journey

We will pick up our BMW 328xi sometime soon in Munich and spend 2 weeks driving around Europe. Track our planning and preparations here.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Round Two

Is it always a case where when you want to have everything done right away, you can't? Last week I called our CA at the local dealership and left a VM asking to call me back. I had a few questions regarding European Delivery program:

1. How long would I have to wait for a car? We were preliminarily planning on going to Europe in mid-September, just so we can say that we visited Oktoberfest (hello, Bier!), while the weather is still relatively mild but it is past the biggest tourist season there. I have been told 10-12 weeks, I haven't verified that information, but 10-12 weeks would put it around September 3-17. It seems like a good timing. But I was also told that it is still 'up in the air'.

2. I asked about the drop off points in Europe. I wanted to make sure, before I start dealing with Lufthansa that the drop-off point is reachable by air. I want to make sure I will be able to fly out and it would not cost me an arm and a leg. The answer I got was: "we will talk about it when you come in". We'll see...

3. I had a few questions about financing - most notably about fees associated with it. The answer I got was that it can be discussed when I sign the papers. That raised my eyebrow, but again, we will see...

4. I wanted my CA to confirm the free STEPTRONIC offer - I would be a great help, since that add-on is worth almost $1300. That has been confirmed. Good, that counts!

5. I also asked about any additional fees I might have overlooked: tax, title and license. I have been told, that the tax is regular 6% (CT), title and license fees are less than about a hundred dollars. But there was something else: A dealer conveyance fee of $399. Doesn't it look a bit outrageous? Then I checked Bimmerfest forums and found out that the $399 is pretty standard. I also found out that the law in CT is very precise as to what can be included. If they do not try a 'bait and switch' method and I know all the fees upfront, I will be happy. That is a big plus for me with using the Rizzo method.

6. Last question I had was about colors and trims combination. We wanted to make sure the choice we made looks as good on a computer screen as it does in person. I made an appointment to see my CA tomorrow. I will keep you posted!

No comments: