BMW 2009 3-series coupe (e92) European Delivery Journey

We will pick up our BMW 328xi sometime soon in Munich and spend 2 weeks driving around Europe. Track our planning and preparations here.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

'09 e90 - worth waiting?

Bimmerfile recently revealed some info about an upcoming 2009 LCI'd e90. It turns out a new e90 might get:
1. New iDrive - among a slew of new things, there are couple that I really crave:
- new iDrive Controller,
- high resolution Control Display,
- built in hard disc drive.

Current controller with two buttons and a knob is a little limiting, if not scary. I know you can get used to using it, but it is counter-intuitive and is more of an obstacle then a help. A new one is supposed to be accompanied by more buttons - acting as shortcuts to the most often-used functions: CD/cell phone/Navi. That is what I called: intuitive. Yet, anything is better than the current iNavi.

Another option that I am waiting for is a high resolution display, which should replace the current blurry, low-contrast LCD screen, which does not belong in an entry-level luxury car, where BMW positions e90 in. I got so used to my Axim's display, bright, clear and easily legible even in the full sun, that when I check out any OEM Navi I find them of inferior quality. Well, we will see, but it certainly looks promising.

A hard drive based navigation has became standard in the recent years, and it is a shame, that such a bread-and-butter model has just gotten a hard-drive based navi. Way to go BMW! Better late than never!

2. DCT - or dual-clutch transmission - I have driven a Jetta with their DSC and if BMW's version of a dual clutch is supposed be better and more refined - then it should be a blast to drive, especially with paddle shifters. Nearly instantaneous shifts with no momentum loss, mated with 230 hp under the hood should provide as much fun as you can only get, driving a BMW.

But, I need to confirm that with my CA. It would be worth waiting additional 1-2 weeks to get the LCI'd version of 328. I guess, I just need to wait and see.

No comments: